The Centre for Ecological Research is committed to values such as excellence, inclusiveness and respect for each other. Our diverse community of senior researchers, post-doctoral and young researchers, students, botanical garden staff and visitors strives to ensure that both our academic and public service environments are professional, inclusive and collaborative, where everyone is treated with fairness and respect.
Research and teaching excellence
We are committed to operating a world-class research environment, through fostering the collaboration of outstanding researchers and other professionals, and providing them with the best facilities, tools and ideas available.
- Conducting research with thorough scientific rigour and significant impact.
- Providing outstanding learning experiences.
- Continuously seeking collaborations with international research centres.
- Delivering our public service mission to a high standard.
- Supporting and promoting academic freedom, as guaranteed by the Hungarian Constitution.
Integrity, professionalism and cooperation
We are committed to professionalism, as individuals, in groups and within the entire ecological and botanical garden community, regardless of rank or role.
- Behaving responsibly, professionally and ethically in any activity or working relationship.
- Clearly setting and communicating expectations and standards of excellence.
- Striving to deliver on commitments made to each other.
- Helping members of the community to realise their potential and gain recognition for their achievements.
- We adhere to and uphold the standards set out in the Scientific Code of Conduct of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
Diverse and inclusive research community
We are committed to promoting and protecting an equitable and inclusive environment.
- We treat all researchers, students, staff and visitors fairly, regardless of age, nationality, ethnicity, religion, disability, marital status, gender and expression, sexual orientation, or any other exclusion in the Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union.
- We accept and value the different backgrounds, identities and expectations of members of the community.
- We recognise that a diverse community strengthens research and education through a broader perspective and approach.
- We work to identify and correct biases in our recruitment, promotion and appraisal processes.
- We are team-oriented. We work together to solve difficult issues. Innovation is fundamental, teamwork is essential and everyone’s opinion counts.
Respect, courtesy, social responsibility
We are committed to maintaining a collegial working environment: we treat everyone with dignity and courtesy, regardless of their position or status in the Centre, and during any related activities, both inside and outside the Centre.
- Providing a safe and supportive work environment for all employees that is free from harassment, discrimination, intimidation, physical or mental abuse.
- We respect each other’s right to freedom of expression.
- We recognise the vital importance of the work performed by the administrative, technical, maintenance and other support staff in the successful operation of the Research Centre.
- We communicate with each other in a constructive and professional manner, including feedback on work.
- We respect and support each other and protect and respect our environment, with a view to sustainable development.